Doctors are in shock: The metal coin is stuck in such a place that…

A young man from California applied to the hospital due to his health problem. Doctors took immediate action when they saw the results of the young man who said he accidentally swallowed a coin. In the incident that shocked everyone, the medical team was astonished when they saw where the money was stuck.

In a medical report published in this month’s New England Journal of Medicine, a team of doctors detailed the strange case of a 14-year-old boy who presented to a hospital emergency room with a sore throat and difficulty swallowing.

The young man told doctors that he accidentally swallowed a coin, but reported that he did not have any difficulty breathing or drooling.

But after taking x-rays of his chest and neck, doctors immediately realized the seriousness of the situation, because the coin was stuck in a vertical position between his vocal cords and could damage them if left there for too long.

“When foreign bodies are aspirated into the airway by older children, they lodge deeper (in the trachea or main bronchus) than in this case due to gravity and the larger size of the airway,” the doctors wrote.

After passing the vocal cords and larynx, the money got stuck in a very small area between the teenager’s wires and windpipe, known as the sublarynx. Photographs taken endoscopically show that the metal object is located in the lower part of the larynx.

“Foreign bodies in the airway—especially those in the trachea (windpipe) and larynx—require immediate removal to reduce the risk of respiratory distress,” the report said, so doctors sedated the child and performed an emergency bronchoscopy.

Other than some small ulcers where the rimmed edge of the coin touched sensitive tissue, the child had no damage to his throat, and his initial symptoms (throat hoarseness and difficulty swallowing) improved as soon as the coin was removed. After the money was removed, the child was discharged.

The most common object swallowed by children is coins, accounting for approximately 60% of all reported swallowed objects, although accidental swallowing usually occurs in children under the age of six.

Bir Cevap Yazın